38:1 上主由旋风中向约伯发言说:
Then the LORD addressed Job out of the storm and said:
38:2 用无知的话,使我的计划模糊不明的是谁﹖
Who is this that obscures divine plans with words of ignorance?
38:3 你要象勇士束好你的腰,我要问你,你要请指教我!
Gird up your loins now, like a man; I will question you, and you tell me the answers!
38:4 我奠定大地的基础时,你在那里﹖你若明知,尽管说罢!
Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.
38:5 你知道是谁制定了地的度量,是谁在地上拉了准绳﹖
Who determined its size; do you know? Who stretched out the measuring line for it?
38:6 地的基础置在何处,是谁立了它的角石﹖
Into what were its pedestals sunk, and who laid the cornerstone,
38:7 当时星辰一起歌咏,天主的众子同声欢呼!
While the morning stars sang in chorus and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
38:8 海水汹涌如出母胎时,是谁用门将海关闭﹖
And who shut within doors the sea, when it burst forth from the womb;
38:9 是我用云彩作海的衣裳,用浓雾作海的襁褓。
When I made the clouds its garment and thick darkness its swaddling bands?
38:10 是我给海划定了界限,设立了门和闩,
When I set limits for it and fastened the bar of its door,
38:11 并下令说:「你到此为止,不得越过;你的狂潮到此为止。」
And said: Thus far shall you come but no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stilled!
38:12 你有生之日,何尝给晨光出过命令,又何尝使曙光知道它之所在﹖
Have you ever in your lifetime commanded the morning and shown the dawn its place
38:13 何尝使光握紧大地四角,将恶人从那里抖出去﹖
For taking hold of the ends of the earth, till the wicked are shaken from its surface?
38:14 曙光改变大地,如在胶泥上盖印;使万物出现,如着锦衣;
The earth is changed as is clay by the seal, and dyed as though it were a garment;
38:15 撤去恶人的光明,折断高举的手。
But from the wicked the light is withheld, and the arm of pride is shattered.
38:16 你曾否造访过海的源头,漫游深渊的底处﹖
Have you entered into the sources of the sea, or walked about in the depths of the abyss?
38:17 死亡的门你发现过吗﹖你见过死影之门吗﹖
Have the gates of death been shown to you, or have you seen the gates of darkness?
38:18 你知道大地的广阔吗﹖你若全知道,就请你说罢!
Have you comprehended the breadth of the earth? Tell me, if you know all:
38:19 赴光明之所的路是那一条,黑暗的住处在那里﹖
Which is the way to the dwelling place of light, and where is the abode of darkness,
38:20 你知道如何引导它们到自己的境域,领它们回到自己居所的道路上吗﹖
That you may take them to their boundaries and set them on their homeward paths?
38:21 你该知道,因为你那时已诞生,而你的年数真浩繁。
You know, because you were born before them, and the number of your years is great!
38:22 你到过雪库,见过雹仓吗﹖
Have you entered the storehouse of the snow, and seen the treasury of the hail
38:23 那是我为降灾之时,为战争之日所存放的。
Which I have reserved for times of stress, for the days of war and of battle?
38:24 云雾由那条路散开,东风由那条路倾泻大地﹖
Which way to the parting of the winds, whence the east wind spreads over the earth?
38:25 谁为暴雨启开闸门,谁为雷电指示道路,
Who has laid out a channel for the downpour and for the thunderstorm a path
38:26 好使雨落在无人之境,降在无人的荒野,
To bring rain to no man’s land, the unpeopled wilderness;
38:27 为润泽荒野干旱之地,好使原野绿草生长﹖
To enrich the waste and desolate ground till the desert blooms with verdure?
38:28 雨有父亲吗﹖谁生了露珠﹖
Has the rain a father; or who has begotten the drops of dew?
38:29 冰出自谁的胎﹖天上的霜是谁生的﹖
Out of whose womb comes the ice, and who gives the hoarfrost its birth in the skies,
38:30 水怎样凝结如石﹖深渊的表面怎样固结﹖
When the waters lie covered as though with stone that holds captive the surface of the deep?
38:31 你岂能栓住昂宿的纽结,解开参星的绳索﹖
Have you fitted a curb to the Pleiades, or loosened the bonds of Orion?
38:32 你岂能使晨星按时升出,引导北斗和它的星群﹖
Can you bring forth the Mazzaroth in their season, or guide the Bear with its train?
38:33 你岂知道天体的定律,实施天律管治大地﹖
Do you know the ordinances of the heavens; can you put into effect their plan on the earth?
38:34 你岂能使你的声音上达云霄,使雨水沛然降在你处﹖
Can you raise your voice among the clouds, or veil yourself in the waters of the storm?
38:35 你能否一发令,闪电就发出,且向你说:「我们在这里﹖」
Can you send forth the lightnings on their way, or will they say to you, "Here we are"?
38:36 谁将聪明给与鹳鸟,将智慧赋予雄鸡﹖
Who puts wisdom in the heart, and gives the cock its understanding?
38:37 当土壤坚固,泥块凝结之时,
Who counts the clouds in his wisdom? Or who tilts the water jars of heaven
38:38 谁能凭智力数清云彩,能倾倒天上的水囊﹖
So that the dust of earth is fused into a mass and its clods made solid?
38:39 你是否能为牝狮猎取食物,满足幼狮的食欲﹖
Do you hunt the prey for the lioness or appease the hunger of her cubs,
38:40 当狮子伏于洞穴,卧于丛林埋伏的时候,
While they crouch in their dens, or lie in wait in the thicket?
38:41 当雏鸦无食,往还飞翔,向天主哀鸣的时候,谁能为乌鸦备食﹖
Who provides nourishment for the ravens when their young ones cry out to God, and they rove abroad without food?
旧约:
新约: