40:1 上主又接着问约伯说:
The LORD then said to Job:
40:2 好辩之士,岂能同全能者辩论﹖非难天主的,请答复这一切!
Will we have arguing with the Almighty by the critic? Let him who would correct God give answer!
40:3 约伯回答上主说:
Then Job answered the LORD and said:
40:4 「看,我这么卑贱,我能回答什么﹖只好用手掩口。
Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth.
40:5 我说过一次,再不敢重复;我再说一次:我不敢再说什么!」
Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more.
40:6 上主由旋风中回答约伯说:
Then the LORD addressed Job out of the storm and said:
40:7 你要象勇士束好腰,我要问你,请你指教我。
Gird up your loins now, like a man. I will question you, and you tell me the answers!
40:8 你岂能推翻我的评断,归罪于我,而自以为有理﹖
Would you refuse to acknowledge my right? Would you condemn me that you may be justified?
40:9 你的手臂岂能同天主的相比﹖你的声音,那能象他的作雷鸣﹖
Have you an arm like that of God, or can you thunder with a voice like his?
40:10 请你以尊贵和高雅作你的点缀,以光华美丽作你的衣裳;
Adorn yourself with grandeur and majesty, and array yourself with glory and splendor.
40:11 爆发你的烈怒,贬抑一切高傲的人;
Let loose the fury of your wrath;
40:12 视察一切傲慢的人,加以制服,就地粉碎一切恶人;
tear down the wicked and shatter them. Bring down the haughty with a glance;
40:13 将他们一同埋在土中,把他们都关在黑暗中!
bury them in the dust together; in the hidden world imprison them.
40:14 如果你能这样作,我也要称赞你,因为你的右手救护了你。
Then will I too acknowledge that your own right hand can save you.
40:15 且看河马,它同你都是我造成的,它象牛一样吃草。
See, besides you I made Behemoth, that feeds on grass like an ox.
40:16 看它的精力全在它两腰,它的力量在腹部的肌肉;
Behold the strength in his loins, and his vigor in the sinews of his belly.
40:17 它挺起尾巴象株香柏,它大腿上的筋交织在一起;
He carries his tail like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are like cables.
40:18 它的脊骨好似铜管,它的骨骸有如铁杠。
His bones are like tubes of bronze; his frame is like iron rods.
40:19 它是天主的杰作,造了它主宰它的同僚。
He came at the beginning of God’s ways, and was made the taskmaster of his fellows;
40:20 群山供给它食物,百兽在那里同它游乐。
For the produce of the mountains is brought to him, and of all wild animals he makes sport.
40:21 它卧在莲叶之下,躺在沼泽和芦苇深处;
Under the lotus trees he lies, in coverts of the reedy swamp.
40:22 莲叶的荫影遮蔽着它,溪边的杨柳掩护着它。
The lotus trees cover him with their shade; all about him are the poplars on the bank.
40:23 河水涨溢,它毫不战栗;约旦河涨到它口边,它仍安宁。
If the river grows violent, he is not disturbed; he is tranquil though the torrent surges about his mouth.
40:24 谁能在它目前捕捉它,或以木橛穿透它的鼻孔﹖
Who can capture him by his eyes, or pierce his nose with a trap?
40:25 你岂能以鱼钩钩上鳄鱼﹖以绳索缚住它的舌头﹖
Can you lead about Leviathan with a hook, or curb his tongue with a bit?
40:26 你岂能以鼻圈穿过它的鼻子,以钩子刺透它的腮骨﹖
Can you put a rope into his nose, or pierce through his cheek with a gaff?
40:27 它岂能再三向你哀求,向你说甜言蜜语﹖
Will he then plead with you, time after time, or address you with tender words?
40:28 它岂能同你订立盟约,使自己永作你的奴隶﹖
Will he make an agreement with you that you may have him as a slave forever?
40:29 你岂能玩弄它象玩弄小鸟,将它缚着作你女儿的玩物﹖
Can you play with him, as with a bird? Can you put him in leash for your maidens?
40:30 结伙的渔人不是想在它身上谋利,将它售与商人﹖
Will the traders bargain for him? Will the merchants divide him up?
40:31 你岂能以长矛穿透它的皮,以鱼叉刺透它的头颅﹖
Can you fill his hide with barbs, or his head with fish spears?
40:32 将你的手放在它身上罢!若你想到恶斗,决不敢再开始。
Once you but lay a hand upon him, no need to recall any other conflict!
旧约:
新约: